I wanted to try this one more time. GET YOUR RECORDS. Write to the below address, ask for your records and inspect them. Be sure you say you are asking for your own records and you will get more information than when asking for someone else's. You protect your future rights to combat related benefits by knowing what's in your records.
"National Personnel Records Center"
"Where it is kept"
The National Personnel Records Center. 
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Telephone 314 538 4216
Fax 314-538-4175
Also, there is a Marine Corps Liaison at that site. The OIC is currently CWO Woods. His phone number is: 314-538-3155/54 and his fax number is: 314-538-3115