"National Personnel Records Center"
"Where it is kept"

When trying to locate someone that served in Vietnam, there are several
places to get information and several things that you will have to do. The
first place to go if you don't know what unit the person was in is:

The National Personnel Records Center. 
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Telephone 314 538 4216
Fax 314-538-4175
Call them first and  ask them for standard request form 180 it will speed
the search up. From the records they will send, you can find the unit the
person was in.

An added note: You can request a copy of your Service Record Book from the above address. 


Additionally you can call the "World Wide Locator". They specialize in finding Marines and tell me they have information on EVERY Marine who ever served from Marine number one. They helped me, when I had almost no information, find my dad's service number which led to my finally receiving his full service record book.


Their address is:
     Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps Personnel
      Management Support Branch (MMSB-17)
                 2008 Elliot Road
             Quantico, VA 22134-5030

Thanks to Carl King

Leatherneck magazine runs a monthly feature called "Mail Call," which is one way to try and contact former Marines. It is a free service and is printed on a space available basis.

Send items for this service to:

Mail Call Editor
P.O. Box 1775
Quantico, VA 22134